In the mid-1600s, a group of Swedes from Delaware and Pennsylvania sailed up the Raccoon Creek and began a settlement on prime farmland in southern New Jersey. Initially known as Raccoon, the town at the center of Woolwich Township was renamed Swedesborough in 1765. Transportation links to Swedesboro by creek, highway, and railroad made the town an attractive location for mills, shops, and farms. Today many residents are descended from the area's original Swedish settlers. Swedesboro and Woolwich Township presents a diverse collection of photographs from the 1800s to the 1970s, illustrating daily life for residents of the community.